Target Returns Policy
All refund rights under both State and Commonwealth law apply.
Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and failure does not amount to a major failure. If the failure is minor, we reserve our right to offer to repair only. We reserve the right to not offer a refund or a Target Returns Card.
Please read the following carefully to ensure you are fully aware of your rights under the policy and our obligations to you.
When you change your mind
- At Target you have 60 days to return your items (some exclusions apply) for a full refund or exchange, as long as it is returned in a saleable condition with original proof of purchase. The refund will be provided using your original payment method.
- For the item to be considered to be in a saleable condition, it must be:
- It is in its original packaging, including instruction manuals and all accessories; and
- It is unworn, unused, unassembled, in its original condition and in case of clothing and swimwear, with the original ticketing and hygiene sticker(where applicable); and
- In the case of mobile phones and internet connected electronic devices (such as Google mini and Wi-Fi connected home accessories), the original plastic wrapping securing the product closed, is intact;.
- In the instance where the product is classified as large, and specifically for beds and bedheads, a collection fee will be incurred by you if it is a change of mind; and
- The product is not one where a change of mind return is not available (see below for exclusions).
- If you can't provide proof of purchase, you will be asked to provide identification for Target exclusive products, containing your full name. We will record your name and form of identification provided, and we'll offer you a Target Returns Card to the value of the current price of that product.
- If you can't provide proof of purchase and the item is national branded, we will be unable to provide you with a Target Returns Card or refund.
Excluded change of mind items
The following items cannot be returned if you change your mind:
- Cosmetics (if hygiene seal is broken)
- Beauty products
- Food items
- Underwear, except bras
- Personalised Products
- Pierced jewellery
- Bedding accessories (for example, mattress and pillow protectors)
- Gift cards, phone recharge or third party gift cards
- Trading cards / Card Collection Packs / Card Decks (for example, Pokemon, NBA, Yu-Gi-Oh!, PANINI TCG etc.)
Target will accept returns and provide you with a Target Returns Card, refund (refund will be provided using original payment method) or repair where:
- The item is faulty or is not of acceptable quality, or
- The item is not fit for its intended purpose, or
- The product does not match the sample or our description; and
- You can present a Target receipt or other adequate proof of purchase
Target may elect to return the product to the manufacturer’s repair agent to determine the nature of the problem. We reserve the right not to offer an exchange voucher, refund or repair where the item fault is a result of misuse or neglect.
Please be aware that data (including, but not limited to, images, music and video) may be lost during the repair process of electrical and electronic products. It is the responsibility of the customer to ensure that all personal data is deleted before return to Target.
Goods presented for repair may be replaced by refurbished goods of the same type rather than being repaired. Refurbished parts may be used to repair goods.
In the instance of large beds and bedheads, the collection fee will be incurred by the business if the product is found to be not of unacceptable quality, faulty or otherwise be in breach of the Consumer Guarantees. However, if no fault is found, or it is found to be acceptable according to the Consumer Guarantees, the collection fee will be the responsibility of you. Customer Support on 1300 753567 to discuss arrangements .
Physical gift card orders
Physical gift cards cannot be returned if you change your mind. They also will not be exchanged for another denomination or tender such as cash. Target will accept returns and provide you with a Target Returns Card where the item is faulty or is not of acceptable quality. Please note that Target is not responsible for and is unable to replace gift cards which are lost or stolen.
Proof of Purchase
Returns, refunds, exchanges or repair requests must be accompanied by any one of the following proof of purchase documents:
- Register receipt, however you may provide a clear photo of the full Target register receipt,
- Online Tax Invoice, including from the Target mobile application (order confirmations will not be accepted)
- Financial statements such as a bank statement, credit card statement (however, when the proof of purchase does not clearly itemise the goods, more than one type of proof of purchase may be required).
- Flybuys statement
- Order summary on the Target App.
- Online proof of purchase when calling Customer Service also includes Zip, Afterpay, Flypay and Paypal statements
When returning a product, you will be asked for information that is relevant to your return, or to satisfy legislative requirements. If you do not provide this information, then we may be unable to process your return.
When returning a product, with adequate proof of purchase, you will be asked for your signature as authorisation of the return transaction. If you do not have adequate proof of purchase, you will be asked to provide photo or other suitable identification containing your full name, signature and expiration date, so that your name and signature can be verified. The identification information you provide may be accessed by authorised Target team members and authorised third parties for the purpose of fraud investigations and fraud protection activities. Information collected will be securely stored for a reasonable period of time and may be used for the purposes of research and analysis, and may be disclosed to Government departments upon request, where required or authorised by law.
Non-Target branded product may not be accepted for return without adequate proof of purchase. This policy does not override Target’s statutory obligations under the consumer guarantees.
Target reserves the right to assess the condition and age of returned goods prior to providing a repair, exchange or refund. This may result in a repair, exchange or refund being refused.
- Gift cards are not redeemable for cash.
- Refunds will only be issued using your original payment method ( includes the same card or device as purchase). However, if the original payment method cannot be verified due to a different digital platform, such as mobile payment, watch payment, e-wallet etc. or a card was replaced, then you will be asked for proof of identity. The acceptable forms of proof of identity are:
- Australian Driver's Licence
- Australian Citizenship Certificate
- Australian document of identity
- Medicare card
- Australia Post Key Pass identity card
How to return a product ordered on Target Online, through the Target App and via Click and Collect
Products ordered through Target Online (with the exception of those nominated as online only large products) and via Click and Collect, can be returned to any of our stores, with proof of purchase. For change of mind on returns or exchanges for online only large (such as beds and bedheads), the delivery fee is non-refundable.
Your nearest store
If you live a long way from your nearest Target store, we recommend contacting Customer Support on 1300 753 567 for assistance prior to travelling to a store to return your item. Remember also, when returning items in accordance with Target’s Return Policy, you don't need to return to the store of purchase, you can attend any Target store.
Buy Now Pay Later facilities
If the purchase was made through a buy now pay later facility, the refunded money will be returned to the account held, and the balance will then be adjusted accordingly.
To find out more about Afterpay visit www.afterpay.com
To find out more about Zip visit help.zip.co/en
To find out more about Flypay visit https://www.flypay.com.au/