Ensuring the safety and quality of our products
Target is committed to delivering safe, quality products to its customers by ensuring its products are of the highest safety standards, comply with applicable legal requirements, and meet customer quality expectations.
Major activities undertaken this year included:
- Formalised a new Target customer feedback root cause analysis process, with the release in March 2018 of a Standard Operating Procedure.
- Implemented a new customer quality report (CQR) to better capture customer feedback at store level. It includes high priority feedback, low priority feedback and a faulty merchandise report (for product delivered to store in an unsaleable condition).
- Introduced a new strict button battery policy, aimed at battery avoidance and safety, to address ongoing customer concern around the dangers associated with button batteries and the ease of accessibility to young children. 98 per cent of Button Batteries have been removed from Target products and we continue to influence other brands to also remove Button Batteries.
- Updated the Target metal contamination policy to include a penalty system and unannounced audits. Relevant training has been given to internal team members and suppliers on the new policy.
- Launched a new supplier scorecard based on key quality and safety performance and compliance measures.
- Introduced measure to achieve full compliance with the Best Practice Guide for Furniture and Television Tip-Over Prevention prepared by the National Retailers Association. Target Product Safety and Quality manuals will be updated to reflect the new industry strategy and Target expects to be fully compliant within the next six months.