Target is committed to ensuring the humane treatment of animals within our supply chain. We recognise the significant role animal-based agriculture plays in the economies of rural and regional communities, as well as the importance of animal based natural fibres in providing a sustainable alternative to synthetic fibres. However, this should never come at the expense of animal welfare. We believe that all animals deserve to live a life free from cruelty and suffering.
Target is therefore committed to ensuring animals within our supply chain are treated in a manner that is consistent with the Five Freedoms of Animal Welfare:
- Freedom from hunger and thirst: by ready access to fresh water and a diet to maintain full health and vigour.
- Freedom from discomfort:by providing an appropriate environment including shelter and a comfortable resting area.
- Freedom from pain, injury or disease:by prevention through rapid diagnosis and treatment.
- Freedom to express (most) normal behaviour:by providing sufficient space proper facilities and company of the animal’s own kind.
- Freedom from fear and distress:by ensuring conditions and treatment which avoid mental suffering.
Wool and leather are two of the most important animal-derived materials used by Target and we have set time-bound commitment to transition these materials to fully traceable sources that comply with our animal welfare policy.
*Excluding and all functional trims (e.g. zips) and decorative details (e.g. lace or ribbons).